Former Spain boss Luis Enrique: Endless possibilities after exit

0
22



Luis Enrique says he wants to return to club football after losing his job as Spain manager and that he has “endless possibilities” despite a disappointing World Cup performance.

The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced last week that they would not renew Luis Enrique’s contract after Spain. was eliminated By Morocco on penalties in the round of 16 with former U-21 coach Luis de la Fuente presented as his replacement.,

– Lowe: Spain will never be the same without divisive Luis Enrique
, Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (US)

“It’s Got Intense,” Luis Enrique told Spanish streamer Ibai Llanos On Monday, he has given the only interview since his departure. “My time with the national team is over, and endless possibilities open up.

“I’m at a moment in my career where I feel excited and ready to take over a club. You can work with a national team in more detail and with more precision. This period [of my career] is over. Unless something big or interesting comes out, I’ll wait until next season.”

The 52-year-old coach, who previously managed Roma, Celta Vigo and Barcelona, ​​took charge of Spain in 2018 and led them to the Euro 2020 semi-finals, where they lost to Italy on penalties.

In Qatar, Spain beat Costa Rica 7–0 in their opening game, drew 1–1 with Germany and 2–1 Japan before being eliminated on a penalty shootout after a 0–0 draw with Morocco. lost to, leading to the RFEF Decide against extending the manager’s contract,

“I think we have lost a very good opportunity,” said Luis Enrique. “I look at the semi-finalists (France, Morocco, Argentina and Croatia) and I don’t think any of them are better than us.

“Obviously we didn’t play a good game against Morocco, but I take the positives. We’ve worked since I took over the national team. We got the guys excited and gave confidence to the young players.”

Luis Enrique said the RFEF was keen to extend his deal after Euro 2020, but preferred to delay a decision on his future until after the World Cup.

“I said it was best to wait,” he said. “I think it makes more sense. I thought I would have to make a decision, but I didn’t need to. This is the first time someone hasn’t renewed my contract.”

The former national team boss denied there was any dispute with the federation over its decision to broadcast on streaming site Twitch during the World Cup, and said he Some regrets over Spain’s failure in the tournament,

“I guess I should have given more minutes [Paris Saint-Germain winger] Pablo Sarabia,” said Luis Enrique. “We would have lost anyway, but he deserved to play more. i will make a change [to the squad],

“There is one player I will not take. I will take 25 of them, remove one and take someone else.”



Source link