Luis Enrique sacked due to need for ‘new project’

0
32


Spanish FA (RFEF) President Luis Rubiales has said spain Denying a “new project” was needed after being knocked out at the World Cup round-of-16, issues with manager Luis Enrique – or his streaming on Twitch – saw him replaced by Luis de la Fuente .

Former U-21 coach de la Fuente, 61, was presented as Spain’s new manager on Monday in Madrid after his appointment was approved by the RFEF’s board.

, Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (US)

The federation announced last week that Luis Enrique would not be offered a new contract in charge of the national team after a disappointing end to the World Cup, in which he was beaten on penalties Morocco,

the former barcelona Boss gained attention during the tournament for broadcasting almost daily on the live video streaming site Twitch and posting regularly on Instagram.

“I have read many stories, that [it] he twitched, that it was his bicycle [rides]Things like that,” Rubiales said.

“But it was nothing like that. All three of us, the outgoing sports director [Jose Molina]new sports director [Albert Luque] and I, we agreed that we should start a new project under the leadership of Luis de la Fuente. There is nothing else.

, Marsden and Kirkland: Words of wisdom from Luis Enrique on Twitch

“The relationship with Luis Enrique is fantastic. We are very grateful to him. There were different conversations. We always said that we would talk after the World Cup … He didn’t tell me that he wanted to move on. The conversation went on other lines Coincidentally, one project was ending and another was starting.”

Luis Enrique was in charge of the national team from 2018 – with a break in 2019 following the death of his daughter – reaching the semi-finals of the delayed European Championship in 2020 and finishing as runners-up in the 2020–21 UEFA Nations League.

De la Fuente was in charge of Spain’s Under-21s since 2018 and previously worked with the Under-19s, winning the Under-21 Euros in 2019 and a silver medal at last year’s Tokyo Olympics.

“I was a player for 15 years, 13 years in the first division,” de la Fuente said on Monday.

“I won trophies, I was an international at youth level. I’ve been with RFEF for 10 years… I’ve worked with 16 players who were in World Cups. If anyone knows about the present and the future in Spanish Football, that’s me.”

The style based on the Spanish occupation has faced criticism for a perceived lack of sophistication. la rosa Their last five knockout games in major tournaments have all taken extra time.

“One thing is non-negotiable: our idea, our model,” de la Fuente said. “But the system adapts. I’ll try to incorporate concepts and nuances to improve. We’re not locked into anything, we’re ready to change when necessary.”

De la Fuente also refused to rule out a return to the international set-up Sergio Ramos – saying that “every player who is in the right condition is available for selection” – and called on the Spain captain Sergio Busquets34, “Living Football History.”

,[Busquets] He has a lot to give,” he said. “If he wants to continue I would be happy.”



Source link